The Bentside Liner for the Spinet

Hello all:

Dry fitting the bentside liner to the case wall

Just hand kerfed and now fitting the liner to the spinet’s bent side.  This will complete the shelf around the inside of the case on which the soundboard will be glued.

I used a tenon saw for a wide kerf that would close.  When coupled with its matching kerfs, it yields a flexible strip.  And fragile, may I say.  Handle with care!

Yes, I pushed the depths of the kerfs deep.  Risky, but it gave just a little more give to the liner.

Bentside liner dry fitted into the tail section.

Here is the joint at the spine.  The bent side liner fits into a notch cut into the spine liner. And yes, I confess I overshot the fit too loose and had to shim it.

The joint of the spine and bentside liners.

Here I’m slowly trimming the other end to butt against the upper liner on the wrest plank:

Fitting the liner around the bentside and and trimming the end to butt the wrest plank liner and fit securely to all surfaces.

See one of my previous posts (July 2011 in our archive) for the use of the small planes for this kind of work.

Once the liner is fitted, I’ll kerf another strip and clamp it on the liner so it distributes the clamping force across the surface when I glue the liner in.  Hopefully I’ll need fewer clamps and a faster gluing phase.

Watch for the results soon.  Going on a break for a few days.



This entry was posted in Harpsichords and Spinets. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to The Bentside Liner for the Spinet

  1. Marsh Jim says:

    Do you use any “rules” as to where the saw kerfs are made to get a particular bend or is it random.


    • Jim, I haven’t seen liners possessing enough consistency to the kerfing to make me think they had a rule. Generally, two approaches. 1) lots of close kerfs allow for a tighter bent, using a fairly thin saw i.e. dovetail. 2) Kerfs are spaced out a bit with the cuts made by a thicker saw. I made all these cuts with a tenon saw, as in #2. Experimented with smaller saws, but the kerfs closed up too soon to allow for the required bend. So it was a bit of trial and error on scrap piece to figure what worked. If I was working with the same spinet design consistently, I would keep my overall approach as a guide, but never stick to it religiously. The hand work isn’t consistent enough to hold onto absolutes.

Comments are closed.