As mentioned in reply to a comment on our last post, I’ve installed the treble cheek (the right hand one when facing the spinet) onto the spinet carcass. The framing of the keywell of the instrument is now complete.
This piece was a replacement for an earlier one that unfortunately severely warped before it could be installed into place. Having gone through the making twice before, this went fairly fast.
I went into detail on making these cheeks back in February 2011. Click the archives for that month on our front page and find “Spinet Assembly Moves Forward (A Little)” for a refresher on the issues involved. In the next photo, note the veneer cut away to allow the core walnut to butt against the bottom edge and the end of the front rail.
From fitting to installed:
So the case assembly moves to the last piece, between the treble cheek and the bentside. A butt joint against the cheek and a miter to the bentside.